Building and Land Use Permit

If you have a building project in the village limits a Building Permit Application is required by ordinance of the Village of Almena. Construction projects must be in accordance with the Zoning Regulations for each property and conform to local, state and federal laws and codes. To verify Zoning Districts and Regulations on individual properties, please contact the Village Hall at (715) 357-6600.

Please complete the Building Permit Application AND Sketch and return to the Clerk-Treasurer. If you have questions in regards to the application feel free to call (715) 357-6600. Once the application is received the Building Inspector will review and contact you for further information, if needed.

Building Permits are required for:

  • Residential Construction: Includes new, remodeling, or altering 1 & 2 family homes, manufactured homes, and additions to residential building(s).
  • Commercial or Industrial Construction: Includes new, remodeling, or altering any commercial or industrial building(s).
  • Sheds: Includes 'yard barns', 'yard sheds', either permanent, movable, and portable. Also includes garages (attached and detached), and pole buildings.
  • Footings and Foundations
  • Plan Reviews
  • Erosion Control
  • Renewals
  • Decks
  • Porches or Gazebos
  • Pools that require permits
  • Signs
  • Fences
  • Fireplaces
  • Electrical or Gas Inspections
  • Repairs
  • Re-Inspections
  • Razes (demolitions)
  • Mobile Home Inspections
  • Roof repairs exceeding $500.00
  • Re-shingling or re-roofing
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Structural Changes to the building



Village Residents:
There is NO BURNING in the Village of Almena with the exception of a cooking or warming fire with firewood or other wood substance (no green treated materials) in an approved fire ring not to exceed 36-inches. During conditions where a burn ban is in place NO warming fire will be allowed. No garbage or cardboard may be burned.

Fee: None. No permit is required for burning in the Village limits.

Residents outside the Village Limits:
Contact the Township you are located in.

or visit the WI DNR's website regarding Burning Permits and see the Current Fire Danger by clicking on the following link:

Deferred Payment Agreement Application

The Deferred Payment Agreement Application was adopted January 9, 2018 as Resolution 2018-2 Utility Billing Policy. The policy includes mention of temporary water shut offs, billing responsibility, collection policy, customer rights, time frame to disconnection, and recommended payment alternatives for residents.

If you are in need of an alternate payment to pay your water-sewer utility bill, please download the Deferred Payment Agreement Application and return to the Clerk-Treasurer.

Direct Sellers Peddlers-Transient Merchant Permit

An application for a direct seller peddler-transient merchant permit must be submitted to the Village Hall prior to the authorization of business dealings by such a seller.

Upon receipt of an application and approval a permit will be issued. The Village does request that sellers of self-grown produce comply with the application process, as well.

Please complete and return to the Clerk-Treasurer.

Hall Rental Application

The Village Hall is available for rent. A Hall Rental Application must be completed and filed with the Clerk-Treasurer. Cost of rental is $35 for half day and $50 for full day. The Hall includes the use of the entire facility including the use of the kitchen (kitchen includes a stove, refrigerator, microwave, double sink), private parking lot, 7 tables, and approximately 40 chairs. Coffee, one paper towel roll, and one large garbage bag is included with the rental.

Kennel License

Refers to Dog Licenses for multiple dogs exceeding the two-pet ordinance.
Kennel Licenses is not currently available for the village. The Village Board is reviewing this license. If a Kennel license is passed a notice will be posted.

All animals must be properly immunized and you must be able to verify proper immunization to local officials, current Rabies Certificates must be submitted with application.

Operator's License

Operator's License (a.k.a. Bartender's License)

Application for an Operator’s License to serve alcoholic beverages at licensed establishments within the Village of Almena.

Download the form, complete, sign, and submit to the Clerk-Treasurer at the Village Hall. Once your application has been approved your license will be available through your employer.

Fee: $25.00 (must be paid prior to obtaining actual license)

Park Reservations

The Village of Almena permits individuals or organizations the ability to reserve Shadyside Park or the ATV Cattail Trailhead Park for exclusive use, (i.e. fair, benefit event, wedding, reunion, picnic, etc). There is no fee to reserve and you are welcome to use the park at any time. Reservation for groups are recommended to assure saving an area for your group or organization.

Fee: By donation (donations received go towards the extra cost of toilet paper, cleaning of restrooms, garbage removal, and keeping our park beautiful - thank you)

Shadyside Park
Shadyside Park is enjoyed by many. A rather large area includes a pavilion, ball field, concession stand, kiddie playland, and Veteran's Memorial. The park is home to the annual Truck and Tractor Pull which is Almena's largest event. The community has pulled together through donations for 4th of July fireworks. People can reserve the entire park or just the ball field.

ATV Cattail Trailhead Park
Enjoy our brand new Cattail Park located on Mildred Avenue on the north side of town. Whether you are ATV'ing or not, the park features a newly paved parking lot, state-of-the-art restroom facility, picnic tables, and grills.

Pet Licenses

All dogs or cats over the age of 5-months are required to obtain a dog or cat license in the Village of Almena. 

Dogs or Cats

Spayed or Neutered: $5.00 each

Unspayed or Unneutered: $10.00 each

Contact the Clerk-Treasurer to obtain Pet Licenses.

Note: The Village of Almena currently has a two-pet ordinance. Contact the Clerk-Treasurer to be put on the agenda for board approval for additional pets. Currently, the board aprpoves or denies multiple pets at your residence.

"Picnic License" Temporary Class B License App

Application for a Temporary Class "B" or "Class B" License, otherwise known as, Picnic License.

Rental Housing License

The Village of Almena’s current Rental Housing Code is available at the Village Hall upon request. It is the responsibility of the property owner to contact the Clerk-Treasurer prior to rental of any units. inspection of the property is required by law.

Sign Permit Application

Sign Permits are issued by the Village Building Inspector. Completed applications must be submitted to the Clerk-Treasurer at the Village Hall.

Prior to completing your application and contacting the Clerk-Treasurer, please review Article VI Sign Regulations thoroughly to determine how your project falls within the scope of village zoning.

Fee: $50.00

Utilities: Water-Sewer

Relocating? Please contact the Clerk-Treasurer immediately at (715) 357-6600.

Moving out of Almena
Please contact the Clerk-Treasurer to get a final read on your water meter. It is important to contact us as soon as you know a move out date so you wont be billed in excess of your utility usage.

Relocating to Almena
Please contact the Clerk-Treasurer to complete a Water-Sewer Utility Application. Once the application is received an account will be set up. The Utility Bill is billed quarterly following the month the quarter ends.